Whipped Bake Bar Cafe coffee review took place on the 15th September 2013.
For this review we (3 of us) each had a latte and espresso. Beans come from the Pacas Farm in El Salvador and are roasted in house .
Our scoring guide as follows:
[skhighlight color=”yellow”]Unacceptable =0, Poor =1, Average =2, Good =3, Very Good =4, Excellent =5, Extraordinary =6 [/skhighlight]
- Crema Score: 2 = Average (The crema must stretch across the entire surface of the espresso and not have any holes or broken spots and should be dense and smooth)
Crema has forced look to it, ‘burnt’, caramel in colour and it broke up quickly. Sour taste, quite offensive.
- Aroma Score: 2 = Average (Aroma provides a subtle introduction to various nuances of the coffee: sweet tones, fruit, flower or herbal notes, etc.)
Smells nutty, has a pleasantness about it yet uninspiring.
- Taste Score: 2 = Average
Quite a punchy upfront with a slightly burnt acidic taste at the back of the mouth, grainy ‘coarse’ mouthfeel, brightness – (tarty) comes through on initial taste and grows then comes to a peak, lingers and then falls away. It’s also noted the amount of espresso was quite small on all 3 drinks. One reviewer noted their espresso was very hot and had a hardened water taste.
- Aftertaste Score: 2 = Average
Burnt caramel at the end, semi sweet after taste on the back of the palate, lingering mouthfeel and flavour. One reviewer noted the aftertaste was an improvement over the initial taste of the drink as the acidic taste dissipated the remaining lingering taste was more enjoyable.
Unacceptable =0, Poor =1,[skhighlight color=”yellow”] Average =2,[/skhighlight] Good =3, Very Good =4, Excellent =5, Extraordinary =6
[Not a valid template]
[Not a valid template]
- Latte Art score: 1 = Poor (Symmetrical design and a smooth silky/glossy like sheen with a combination of coffee and milk colours on the surface)
Greyish texture and a used, off grey, dull look to areas of it, no distinct pattern. One of the reviewers noted that they had a dome head.
- Foam Texture & Taste Score: 0 = Unacceptable (The foam should be smooth, silky and consist of only microbubbles)
Very dish foamy like, grainy and stale aftertaste, tasted ‘2nd hand’, minimal amount of foam and tasted like milk had been re-heated.
- Coffee Taste Score: 0 = Unacceptable
Stale, no coffee profile coming through, very flat and almost non detectable coffee taste, milky, tasted as though the milk had been reheated.
- Coffee Temperature Score: 2 = Average
Coffee temperatures varied from our 3 lattes.
- Aftertaste Score: 1 = Poor
Very stale aftertaste, lingers long, the milk left a nasty aftertaste.
Unacceptable = 0 [skhighlight color=”yellow”] Poor = 1 [/skhighlight] Average = 2 Good = 3 Very Good = 4 Excellent = 5 Extraordinary = 6
Walk into any cafe that uses a Synesso coffee machine and has filter coffee on the menu, it grabs your attention and you expect a level of quality. Looking at our scores above, elements of our coffees today are unacceptable and far from the quality we were looking for.
This review was unannounced and fully paid for. Reviewers:
Abi – abigrace.com.au
Grant – https://twitter.com/gmango_au
Whipped Bake Bar Cafe 35 Semaphore Rd, Semaphore SA 5019 Phone:(08) 8242 3000
Coffee Hours 7:00am – 5:30pm, Kitchen Hours 7:00am – 2:30pm 7 days.